This is how Bill Rausch and the ‘Got Your Six’ team works with movie makers to get it rightPodcast, Veterans
The mission of Got Your Six is to normalize the depiction of veterans on film and television and dispel common myths about the veteran population. Together with partners in the entertainment industry, business, and politics, it casts a wide net of influence and social change.
In this episode of the We Are The Mighty podcast, Got Your Six executive director Bill Rausch and WATM’s Logan Nye discuss the depiction of veterans in mainstream entertainment.
- Logan Nye: Army veteran and associate editor
- Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and podcast producer
Bill Rausch is a former Army Major with over 10 years of service, including 17 months in Iraq serving under Gen.s Casey and Petraeus while assigned to the Information Operations Task Force. Prior to joining GY6, Bill was Political Director at Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America where he oversaw policy and advocacy campaigns.
More about Bill Rausch’s experience on his Got Your Six profile page.
Selected links and show notes from the episode:
- [01:30] Got Your Six’s mission.
- [02:15] How and why Got Your Six got involved in the entertainment industry.
- [03:15] How Got Your Six helps movie makers tell the veteran experience.
- [07:40] How Got Your Six works with business and politics.
- [10:40] What Got Your Six certified means in the entertainment industry.
- [13:00] Why Got Your Six is less interested in military standards and more interested in telling the veteran experience.
- [15:15] Why military families are just as important as the service member.
- [19:50] What it’s like working with celebrities.
- [21:20] How Melissa Fitzgerald helps veterans and military families.
- [22:45] How combat veteran J.W. Cortes (best known for his recurring role in Gotham) is giving back to the veteran community.
- [23:40] Upcoming Got Your Six projects.
- [27:40] Bill Rausch’s favorite military transition movie: The Best Years of Our Lives, 1946.